RE: [TR] Two TR3A Questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Two TR3A Questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:25:13 -0700
> The Tenax has a male peg that is attached to the body and the
> fabric has a capped circular button that fits over the male part.  To
> separate, you lift the spring loaded cap, which releases the tension on a
> wire inside and they separate.

All correct, except inside the Tenax button are 3 shaped metal fingers, rather
than a spring wire like the "lift the dot".

> I'm not positive, but I believe the male parts of the fasteners are made to
> take either type of female fastener.

No, the studs are considerably different between Tenax and LTD.  The LTD stud is
basically a rounded cylinder with a groove for the wire, while the Tenax studs
are essentially a round ball on the end of a much smaller (and shorter) shank.

Both come in a variety of attachment methods, including machine screw and
wood/sheet metal screw.

There are also some other variations, including "Baby" Tenax (found only on
early TR2 and NLA for a long time), and a shorter LTD stud apparently used
around the back of the cockpit on TR2-3 with factory hardtop.

Try the diagrams on Moss' website for more info.
http://mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29197

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org