RE: [TR] Copper brake lines.

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Copper brake lines.
From: "Bill Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 21:35:22 +0100

I'm in the UK, so the legalities in the US will be completely different, but
here is my experience on replacement brake lines.
In the UK it is almost unheard of to replace brake lines with steel.
Replacement pipe sets are produced in copper, and in copper/nickel/iron
alloy (cunifer). Both types are legal here. My experience is that pure
copper pipes work harden very rapidly once fitted to a working vehicle. I
have never seen a copper pipe leak through hardening, but I have often
broken hardened pipes when disconnecting them at their unions. This will
happen with pipes no older than 2 years, it has made me very reluctant to
fit copper pipes, I will not sell these through my company.
By comparison, the cunifer pipe does not harden to any noticeable degree. I
have rebuilt and subsequently maintained a number of braking systems with
this material, I have found it to be trouble free.
Cheers,
Bill.

Rarebits4classics

PO Box 1232