Re: [TR] Early TR4 - Front Brake Calipers

To: lbc.resto@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Early TR4 - Front Brake Calipers
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:12:28 -0400
On Sunday 06 August 2006 06:47 pm, lbc.resto@comcast.net wrote:
> I am trying to fit new pistons into new seals.
>
> The manual says to:
> - fit the seal into the bore - done.
> - fit the dust cover lower edge into the caliper groove - aargh (not done).
> - slide the piston through the dust cover and past the bore seal into the
> caliper - tried this first and it won't get past the seal even with liberal
> amounts of new fluid.
>
> What is the trick in getting the dust cover in place and then managing to
> keep it there while I try and fight the piston past the seal without
> damaging it?
>
> --
> Ian
> 62 TR4

Ian,

I dont know if this is good advice or not. But when I did my TR4 calipers last
year I noticed that the piston would not push past the seal unless I had the
seal right side in. This might sound funny and may not be true in all cases
but the piston would not push past the seal. So I reversed the seal and
woosh, it went right in. Keeping the outer dust cover in place while pushing
in the  piston requires a bit of patience. I used a very smoth flat
screwdriver to hold the dust cover out and when the piston was in used the
screwdriver to follow the cover around the piston and into the groove. Took
some time but all went together as per spec.

You must get the dust seal in the caliper grove after installing the piston
seal before you attempt to push in the piston. Once you get it in the rubber
should keep it there while you push the piston past.

Did you make sure the grove in the caliper is clean, free of rust, paint,
junk?

I also used liberal amts of fluif.

Hope this helps.

Bob