Re: [TR] Early TR4 - Front Brake Calipers

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Early TR4 - Front Brake Calipers
From: Geo & Kathleen Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 18:48:47 -0700
lbc.resto@comcast.net wrote:

>What is the trick in getting the dust cover in place and then managing to keep
>it there while I try and fight the piston past the seal without damaging it?

My technique is slightly different, but it works for me...

Have the bleed screw in place. Assuming you have both pistons removed,
reinsert one temporarily (just to close off that side). Prepare the
opposite side with the internal seal and the dust boot in place.
Position the piston to be installed on top of the dust boot with a piece
of wood between it and the opposite piston.

At this point my assistant (wife) blasts air into the hose fitting of
the caliper. For this I have a small airgun rigged with a short length
of quarter inch irrigation tubing that fits snugly into the brake line
hole. You do not need a lot of pressure, just enough that the dust boot
tries to inflate a bit.

I (she is holding the caliper and running the air) use a little tool
(made from a length of 12 ga solid copper formed into a hook with the
end of the wire rounded) to ease the boot around the piston. It really
'wants' to go on because the piston is blocking the flow of air exiting
the caliper thru the boot.

As soon as the boot has puffed around the circumference of the piston,
cut the air... you're ready to insert the piston. The opposite side is a
similar process.

First one we did like this took a couple of tries and a couple of
minutes to pop the boot on. The 4th one took about 3 seconds.

Generous use of brake assembly lube will help the process quite a bit.

Geo H