RE: [TR] Using a fuel gage as the basis for a voltmeter for my

To: "Chris Simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Using a fuel gage as the basis for a voltmeter for my
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 10:58:41 -0700
> Jim Wallace and I have been looking to swap out our amp meters for a
> basically stock looking voltmeter.

To each his own, I guess.  IMO an ammeter tells you more about what's
happening than a voltmeter, but ...

> Then I realized the gas guage is already a voltmeter.

Actually, it isn't.  It really works on not just current but current
differential.  The current through the sender is compared to the current
through an internal coil to arrive at the reading.  This is why the reading
doesn't change (much) if the input is 10 volts or 15 volts.  It also works
backwards to the way a voltmeter should work, ie full scale is no current.

> Anyone ever tried this?  Sound reasonable?

Seems like an incredible amount of work to arrive at something that works
less well than the original, to me.  But rather than trying to modify the
gauge, I think I'd be looking at some sort of electronic circuit to sink the
current that the gauge responds to, in accordance with the voltage
presented.

Or just put a voltmeter movement into an ammeter case ...

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org