Re: [TR] Using a fuel gage as the basis for a voltmeter for my

To: ccsimonsen@gmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Using a fuel gage as the basis for a voltmeter for my
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 13:58:24 EDT
In a message dated 8/8/2006 12:11:34 PM Central Standard Time,
ccsimonsen@gmail.com writes:
> Jim Wallace and I have been looking to swap out our amp meters for a
> basically stock looking voltmeter.
>
> Just not finding what we like.  Lots of guages out there just not a Jaeger
> or Lucas one that matches.
>
> In jest,  I told Jim I should put my Electrical engineering degree into use
> and convert the amp meter to a volt meter.
>
> Then I realized the gas guage is already a voltmeter.  Besides I want to
> keep the Amp meter around so I have all the original bits for the car. The
> next owner may want all original parts back on it.
>
> I have a friend in the silkscreening business that could probably do a
> decent job with the guage face.
>
> Anyone ever tried this?  Sound reasonable?
>
> Anyone got a donor fuel guage for me to experiement with?  Please let me
> know offline what you want for it.

Good idea.  I suspect, however that the zero scale is way above zero volts
and full scale is below 10 volts so some scaling circuitry will be required.
But once you determine the voltage required to lift the needle off the lower
stop and the voltage needed for full scale and then determine the scale of
indication (e.g.: 10 - 15 Volts) you may need only a zener diode and a
resistor.  Or
you may need much more than that.

I don't have any TR4 gauges but I have a later style TR6 temp (or fuel)
gauge.  If I ever get any spare time I'll look into it.  (just toss it in the
coffin, I might have time then)

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org