RE: [TR] Do I have a bad starter?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Do I have a bad starter?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 09:28:11 -0700
> Good point. But I also figured hooking up 12v directly to the starter
> motor with nothing happening would sort of rule in favour of a bad
> starter.

Sure, as long as you also complete the circuit back to the battery.

> And, I don't know what is is about Radio Shack (and other similar
> stores here in the Great White North), but they don't seem to carry
> clip leads for voltmeters - I've looked for them in the past with no
> luck.

What I use (and every Radio Shack I've walked into has had) have clips at both
ends, not voltmeter plugs on one end.

Go to http://www.radioshack.com
and enter "test jumper" in the search box.

I was mistaken about the price, they're down to $5.50 ...

Depending on your voltmeter, it may take some adaptation to use these with it.
But with mine, I just fasten one clip to the top of the voltmeter lead.  If it's
not ground, I have to be a little careful about where it lays, but usually
that's not a problem.  Worst case, a couple turns of electrical tape will
insulate it (and help hold it together).

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org