RE: [TR] TR4 Wire Wheel Adapter Removal

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR4 Wire Wheel Adapter Removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:26:06 -0700
> I had a hard enough time removing the rear W/W adapters and am
> now stuck on
> the front ones.  What is the best way to remove them when the car is up on
> jack stands?

An impact wrench works slick.  If that's not an option, and the brakes work,
I'd suggest having someone hold the brake pedal down (and arrange your
breaker bar so you are pushing towards the floor).

Two more "last resorts" which I've not tried :

1) "Strap" wrench on the splines (and probably a length of pipe on the
handle).

2) It might be that, with the wheel slipped partially onto the splines
backwards, and part of the weight of the car resting on the wheel (with a
jack still under the car carrying the rest of it), that you could get in
there to turn the adapter nuts.  I've not tried this and make no claims that
it will work, but if I couldn't think of anything else ...

Or, if you've got a ruined wire wheel somewhere (my ruined originals are in
the attic somewhere), you might be able to cut out the hub and bolt a length
of pipe or 2x4 to it to make a "spline wrench".

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org