RE: [TR] voltage stabilizer

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] voltage stabilizer
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 17:06:03 -0700
> For what it's worth, I learned something today a lot of you
> certainly already
> know.

Well, I didn't (still don't) ... the factory voltage stabilizers were not
polarity sensitive.  It's just a heater, which gets hot no matter which way
the electrons flow.  It's only the aftermarket solid-state replacements that
are polarity sensitive.

> What's happening is, my
> temp gauge is
> reading at the top end (super hot)...before I start the car.

Most likely indicates either a broken gauge, or the wrong sender for your
gauge.  Or possibly a short to ground in the new wire to the new sender.
Having a broken (shorted) VS should only make it read about 1/4 scale too
high.

> Moreover, since
> I hooked up my regular TR3 fuel gauge to the stabilizer too, and
> now it reads
> at the completely full level without a drop of gas in the tank,
> I'm worried I
> fried it.

Not likely ... are you sure the fuel gauge is properly grounded, and
connected ?

You won't be happy with it connected to an original voltage stabilizer
anyway, the gauge will jump around every time the "stabilizer" switches.
The "stabilizer" output switches from zero to full battery voltage plenty
slow enough to see on a fast gauge (like the original TR3 fuel gauge) ...
even a light bulb is fast enough to see it clearly.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org