Re: [TR] voltage stabilizer

To: terryrs@adelphia.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] voltage stabilizer
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 08:19:39 EDT
In a message dated 8/15/2006 6:35:19 PM Central Standard Time,
terryrs@adelphia.net writes:
> I'd purchased a used TR4 electric temperature gauge for my '59 TR3A.  With
> it
> came the voltage stabilizer.
>
> I learned from Dave at TRF today, however, that these were typically
> positive
> ground. I have a negative ground car.  What's happening is, my temp gauge is
> reading at the top end (super hot)...before I start the car.  Moreover,
> since
> I hooked up my regular TR3 fuel gauge to the stabilizer too, and now it
> reads
> at the completely full level without a drop of gas in the tank, I'm worried
> fried it.
>
> I've ordered a later model negative ground voltage stabilizer. We'll see
> what
> it cures.  Any ideas?

With all due respect to Uncle Dave but the voltage stabilizers are not
polarity sensitive.  They have a heater that senses the voltage and heaters
don't
care about what direction current flows.  Some folks have fabricated their own
stabilizers using electronic voltage regulators and these are polarity
sensitive but I know of no commercially offered electronic substitute for the
old
style which is still readily available.

HOWEVER, the fuel sender unit in the TR3 is quite different from the one used
on the TR4 and on.  They work quite the opposite and low resistance is
equivalent to low fuel and high means low fuel.  The TR4 and on sender is the
other
way round.  Mixing and matching TR3 and TR4 parts in the fuel gauge system
won't work as expected.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org