[TR] TR6 Clutch Frustrations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Clutch Frustrations
From: "StevesTR6" <stevestr6@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:13:09 -0700
Hi List-

  This seems to be the TR clutch weekend.

  I am so frustrated with my clutch and pretty much out of ideas. I
completely rebuilt this car a few years ago and I am very happy with it
except for the clutch.

  Basically, it disengages too close to the floor and really it does not
disengage enough. When things get hot, the problem only gets worse to the
point where I really can't shift gears. When I rebuilt the car I replaced
the throwout bearing and carrier along with the roll pins and the
cross-shaft bushings. It has a new M/C and I rebuilt the slave cylinder. It
even has new hydraulic pipe, new clevis pins and that fancy adjustable slave
cylinder rod.

  I have bled the thing to death but I always wonder if I got all of the air
out as the bend in the pipe is above the fluid level of the M/C.

  Anyway, I have given up driving the car for fear of ruining the
transmission.  So I am aware that the clutch release fork pin can shear but
I also put in a new one of those as well. I really don't want to have to
remove the transmission unless I know I have to since everything else is
nice with the car.

What can I test to tell what is wrong with it? Can I measure the throw of
the cross-shaft arm? Is there even a spec for this? I have tried
repositioning the slave closer to the clutch but that made no difference.

Any words of wisdom would be very much appreciated as I would really like to
enjoy the car again!

Thanks,

Steve

'74 TR6