Re: [TR] TR6 Clutch Frustrations

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR6 Clutch Frustrations
From: "Skip Gurnee" <skip47@powernet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:04:51 -0700
Hi Bud-
There are no springs within the hydraulic system that affect the travel of
the clutch release bearing.  The springs you find in the system act only to
ensure pressure is maintained, or to help the system retract -away from
clutch engagement.
Full disengagement of the clutch needs only that small 0.27 inch.  There's a
ratio in the difference in length between the cross shaft-to-clutch
centerline distance vs the cross shaft-to-pushrod distance.  The manual
doesn't list these numbers, but the pictures show the fork shorter than the
lever.  So the answer is the pushrod moves more than a quarter of an inch.
You can check the potential movement of the pushrod by measuring from the
bottom of the bore of the slave cylinder to the circlip, minus the length of
the piston.  The internal spring isn't a part of the measurement.  A very
rough estimate would be over an inch is possible.
If your pushrod can be moved closer to the cross shaft via multiple holes
drilled in the actuating lever, then you get more distance pushed on the
belleville spring, because the mechanical ratio changes.  You'll also get a
heavier pedal.
I had an experience with a stuck clutch.  The pedal felt stuck solid also,
even after checking the hydraulic system. If your clutch is stuck engaged,
you should have an instinctive feel in the pedal that nothing is moving.
The pressure you can apply with the hydraulics is not usually sufficient to
unstick a clutch disc.  Then the suggestions already provided by others are
applicable.
Hope this helps; let me know.
Best,
Skip