Re: [TR] Baffling clutch issues

To: 70TR6@mindspring.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: [TR] Baffling clutch issues
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:23:34 EDT
In a message dated 8/26/2006 9:14:29 AM Central Standard Time,
70TR6@mindspring.com writes:
> OK, so a buddy comes over last night for a relatively quick rebuild on his
> clutch master and slave - that was around 9:00 p.m.  Shawn's car is his
> daily driver and he's had it for fifteen years or so, so he's knows what
> he's doing.  Toad and I are mainly providing moral support by consuming
> Newcastle beer, but then after the rebuild the grinding noise is very, very
> bad.  Several bleeds and swapping out a master that I had lying around
> provided no relief.  Finally at 2:15 a.m. he went home grinding away until
> we had more energy &a fix.
>

> The clutch was recently replaced and we put a bolt in the cross-shaft at the
> time to do away with the broken taper pin issue.  The clutch is a Sachs with
> a Koyo t/o bearing.  Both the master and slave were rebuilt with no relief.
> There is some slop in the clevis pin and linkage where some of the holes
> aren't brand new, but I'm worried that something else is at play.
>

> Ideas, options?

Can you provide more a detailed description of the grinding noise.  For
example, is it a grinding associated with the movement of the clutch release
mechanism or the rotating components?  Does it occur as the pedal is depressed
and
released and is it present with the engine running and stopped?  Or is it
constant with the clutch pepressed but onely with the engine running?

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org