[TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: acekraut11@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: Greg Perry <rgperry@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 14:42:11 -0500 (GMT-05:00)
Hello Aaron and list,

I may start a lively discussion with my opinion about the frame members
cracking after installing tube shock conversion brackets, so here is my
opinion.  I believe that the problem of cracked frame members  is due to the
relocation of the fulcrum point from between the two mounting lever arm bolt
holes to a point extended at the end of the shock mounting bracket.  This
distance change between the old and new fulcrum points acts as lever
multiplying the forces applied to the original lever arm shock point.  Thus
increasing the force applied to the differential cross member beyond what it
was engineered for.  A basic analogy would be when one is applying a cheater
bar on to the end of a breaker bar to provide more force to break a bolt or nut
loose.

Disclaimer Notice:
I am only expressing my opinion on the reason why sometimes the frame cracks
after installation of the tube shock conversion brackets, not about the
benefits or deficiencies of installing the tube shock conversion kits on a
vehicle.

Greg Perry

===     http://www.vtr.org