Re: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: Dave1massey@cs.com, rgperry@earthlink.net, Acekraut11@aol.com,
Subject: Re: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 19:26:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/22/2006 5:49:18 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Dave1massey@cs.com writes:

And my  opinion is quite different.  Since the eventual point of force
application remains the same (the end of the trailling arm) the net forces
applied to
the shock mount doesn't change.  If you add up all the  force vectors the
major vertical vector contributed by the shock bracket  is negated by the
vertical
vector of the telescopic strut.

On the  othe hand, since the telescopic shocks are much more effective at
dampening movement than the lever shocks the net forces applied will be
higher.
But this has nothing to do with  geometry.

It seems to me that the force that counts here is the force applied to the
frame thru the shock mount - with lever shocks, this force pivots around a
point  relatively near the mounting holes - with every bolt-on tube shock
conversion  I've ever seen, you are bolting a rigid bracket to those 2 holes
and
applying an upward force at the end of the bracket which will try to twist the
cross member upward and off the frame  - I cannot imagine applying the  same
force to the cross member thru the pivoting lever-shock arm

Jack Mc

===     http://www.vtr.org