RE: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Re: Rear Shock Conversion Frame Problems
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:08:27 -0700
> OK, if I take a torque wrench and place the socket
> directly over a nut and apply 10 ft-lb of torque, then
> the nut is torqued to 10 ft-lb. Moreover, if I put a 2 inch
> 90 deg right angle extension on the torque wrench and I
> connect the socket to the end of the right angle extension, I
> am still applying 10 ft-lb of torque to the bolt.

Are you sure about that ?  Try it sometime with a 12" extension, and I think
you'll see that there is more force being applied with the extension than
without ... if you don't support the head of the torque wrench, it will
literally tear the socket off the bolt.

Or the shock mount out of the frame.

Ok, I understand your point about the on-axis force not translating to
torque.  To that extent, it's a poor example.  But any lever arm, no matter
which way it points, does increase the total force.  And although a bolt
only 'cares' about torque applied around it's axis, the frame welds don't.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org