Re: [TR] Carburetor Synchronization tool

To: Brian Jones <banc8004@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Carburetor Synchronization tool
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 23:28:17 -0500
On Monday 04 December 2006 09:18 pm, Brian Jones wrote:
> I have tuned my SU carbs by ear (using some fuel line). I am sure a
> synchronization tool would help, but I have baulked at the big
> three's prices (in the $30s). I have also been outbid a few times in
> ebay for versions of the little aluminium tool, used, no warranty,
> including one that is currently on ebay at $25.00 with 12 hours to
> go: http://tinyurl.com/y2oxm7
>
> ...or is at Moss for $33: http://tinyurl.com/y43k5n
>
> ...or is here, a VW site, for $14.25.
>
> The caveat is a website minimum order of $25, which I had no problem
> achieving.....they also have the snail syncs for a good price too
> ($29.95). Search 'synchrometer'. The cheaper one is a 'synchronizer'.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian
> '63 TR4
> Valley Forge

Brian,

I agree with Randall here. I have the su tool kit and I use the jet spanner
more than anything. In fact I have an extra spanner and it is in the cubby
box along with a distributor gap tool.

I sync the carbs using a neoprene hose in the ear. How perfect do you need to
get it? Is your eye any better than your ear? The kit also can be used to
insure the floats are set correctly. I also think it comes with instructions
for those new to the tools.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org