Re: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction

To: jimhearn1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction
From: MMoore8425@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 10:31:08 EST
In a message dated 12/15/2006 7:24:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
jimhearn1@comcast.net writes:

What are  the advantages to using a gear reduction starter on a stock engine?
I have  a '74 TR6 and I'm trying to decide it is worth the difference in
price to  use a gear reduction starter.  Jim

Jim,
I haven't installed one in my TR3 YET, but I will. I was asking the same
question you are last year both for my Jag and my TR. I could not see on paper
where it mattered,
Then my son asked me to install a newer high speed starter in his E Type I
was restoring. It is a heckuva difference!  The biggest difference is the  car
starts immediately. No more long grinding away. It spins faster and sounds
like a modern car during the start-up phase. The biggest disadvantage, at
least
on older cars with solenoids separate from the starter is the fooliing
around with the wiriing as the starter has its own solenoid.

Best, Mike Moore
59 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org