RE: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:30:45 -0800
> What are the advantages to using a gear reduction starter on a stock engine?
> I have a '74 TR6 and I'm trying to decide it is worth the difference in
> price to use a gear reduction starter.

I put one on my TR3A, both because I was having trouble with original starters
and to reduce weight.  As others have mentioned, the engine cranks a lot faster
while drawing less current from the battery.  From past experience with other
geared starters (Chrysler products used them for many years), I know they will
also crank the engine with the battery much farther run down than direct-drive
starters will.  I have literally seen them turn a V8 when there wasn't enough
juice left to run the coil ! (which means the engine will start if you power the
coil with a lantern battery)

Only disadvantage I can see is that it no longer sounds like a TR when starting
... sounds more like cranking a jet engine !

Whether it's worth the price is up to you and your pocketbook.  I found mine on
sale at TRF, and used my car club coupon to buy it, so it wound up not being
that much more expensive than a rebuilt original-type starter.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org