RE: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction

To: "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] What are the advantages to using a gear reduction
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 08:45:17 -0800
> I've had one in my 3 for a few years now.  I sprung for it when my stock
> started motor came apart leaving bits inside the bell housing.

I had that happen many years ago while on a long trip.  During the ride home,
the chunks inside the bellhousing managed to get jammed with the starter teeth
and exited through the bellhousing.  The resulting hole started a crack that
ultimately separated the transmission from the engine !

> They have their own built on relay so you remove your stock one (or
> leave it for looks),

FWIW, the solenoid on the gear drive starters (at least the one I bought) draws
roughly 10x the current of the old TR3 solenoid (12 amps vs about 1 amp).  For
that reason, I opted to keep the old solenoid, and use it only to switch power
to the new one.  I also like still having the starter button under the hood,
that will crank the engine with the key off (or on).  Even though my old
solenoid was 'tired', I expect it to last virtually forever switching such a
small current relative to what it was designed for.

If it were my TR6, and if I was planning to keep it forever, I'd probably add a
relay to power the solenoid.  Unless of course it was a 74-75 TR6 with an
original relay to  power the solenoid.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org