Re: [TR] Question about pulling an engine

To: Steve Ball <banjonut@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Question about pulling an engine
From: jar@aldermanroad.net
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:30:31 -0500
There should be an "ear" mounted on the front left of the engine, and
perhaps a special  piece on the right rear of the engine, with one end
under the nut on the exposed head stud and the other on the exhaust
manifold mounting stud (between the manifold and the securing nut.)
That hook may be gone because it must be fitted at same time that head
is torqued and the exhaust manifold is fitted.  If the head has been
removed (most likely it has at some time in its life) and this is not
put back at the right time, it is not readily refitted without major
effort, so is left off and thrown in the "spare parts" bin until it is
forgotten what it was for or what car it came from, then thrown away.

If these are not there, then you will need first to remove the valve
cover, then hook a chain around the water pump, and then remove the nut
on the head stud that is the right rear-most, and put a chain link (you
might buy one of those repair links with the combined nut/threaded
fitting) that will go over the stud.  Put a great big flat washer on the
link, then run the nut down.  It does not need to be tightened, just far
enough to be secure.

Then hook up whatever device (cherry picker, chain hoist or whatever)
and lift.

Cheers.