Re: [TR] TR3 Color Codes

To: yellowtr@adelphia.net, ols@bcdef.net
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 Color Codes
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:34:19 EST
In a message dated 12/26/2006 7:30:36 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
yellowtr@adelphia.net writes:

It  is getting real hard for the paint shops to convert the old codes into
the
new paint mixtures. It took PPG about a week to research, locate the  formula
for Spa White in DCC for my TR4 project.

Hey Guys,
I thought I would chime in here.  I agree with the above statement and
believe it demonstrates a problem.  For this reason it is my opinion that  it
is
dang near impossible to match an original Triumph color exactly. Not  being a
paint expert or anything, I still would say that two colors would appear
different unless the same paint systems or pigments were being used. That  is
not
possible anymore.

In addition I know since I am in the printing business that all colors fade
over time including colors using  Automotive Pigments.  Some  colors fade more
than others (yellow, reflex blue, warm red, purple are  real bad, process
blue, green and rubine red are better) and this fading  process will change the
appearance of the color and yes, colors actually can  fade in the dark!
Therefore just because a piece has been covered that does  not mean the color
appears
as new. All pigments are fugitive and  fade according to the conditions they
are subjected too.

I think this explains why you can put several Signal Red Triumphs in a row
and they all will look like they are a different color. I am going to paint  my
TR3B my version of Powder Blue.  Yes, I have researched the color, done  a
color match with a Spectrometer under the dash but did you know  there still
will be no two Powder Blue TR's out there that look  alike?  They all have it
wrong, mine is right, correct?  I would  call BS on myself if I thought that
way!

Get it close and it's all Good.
Cheers,
Darrell