RE: [TR] Concours rules, Used to be Carpet Mats

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Concours rules, Used to be Carpet Mats
From: "Jim Coleman" <jimbyjove@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 18:13:45 -0500
It seems every time someone even mentions the word "judged", we have to read a
dissertation about the 'why' someone does not like judged events.  The retort
goes on to cite an example of an event or events that caused the distaste for
judged shows.  After all, you have taken the trouble of taking your pride and
joy to the show and it hurts when someone else points out something that is
not quite right.

You know that judging is tough and there is generally no pay.  Sometimes
people have to be persuaded to judge and when they do it, invariably, someone
does not like it.  Also, look at the unbelievable high standards of
restoration we are seeing - whether driven or not.  Rather than snub the whole
concept of judged events, get over it!  Or, better yet - volunteer to judge
one event.  Maybe you and others can set a whole new standard.

Look!  Do what I do.  Continue to put your car or motorcycle in shows -
concours if you have the guts for occasional criticism - or stick with
participants choice if you just like to display.  You could just place a 'Do
Not Judge' placard on your windshield if you are not of the competitive
spirit.  One of my TRs has done OK over the years in participants choice, but
I would NEVER put it in a concours class because I know the modifications, the
non-original paint and the driver condition of it would never stand up.  I've
tried concours a few times with my other TRs. In terms of scoring, it has been
occasionally dissapointing and it has been rewarding other times.  It depends
on the show and the effort.

You can learn and take some pride in the experience.  You know in your heart
all that kept you from  scoring better than a  trailer queen was a rubbed
place on your air box cover.  Is that so bad?  You said you tried to end up
"with something that makes me happy." That should be enough.  Please keep
sharing your vehicles, but don't always expect validation from wins on the
show field.

Thats my opinion.
Jim Coleman

===     http://www.vtr.org