[TR] Alloy spring keepers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Alloy spring keepers
From: "scotts junk" <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Feb 2007 22:08:24 -0600
So I have this gratifying pile of tweaky GT6 engine bits (ported heads, HS6
carbs, lumpy cam, tube pushrods, ...) waiting for assembly in the spring
(windcill of -44 today and my garage isn't heated), and I get to thinking
that a faily simple lathe project for whiling away a few winter hours is to
make a set of spring keepers out of 7075 T6 aluminum. Dig out the mics and
calipers and draft up a set of plans from the originals and note a
peculiarity that I hope the wisdom of the list can shed some light on:

Why is the gt6 (and TR6) exhaust spring retainer (upper spring collar) made
in two parts? Am I missing some key bit of mechanical insight here or is
this just another example of British "never make it simple when there's a
more complicated way" of engineering?

cheers
Scott

http://ideas.live.com/programpage.aspx?versionid=b2456790-90e6-4d28-9219-5d7207d94d45&mkt=en-ca