Re: [TR] Potential GT6 purchase

To: "Al Al" <als6point9@gmail.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Potential GT6 purchase
From: "Tim Hutchisen" <hakhutch@adelphia.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:28:13 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Al" <als6point9@gmail.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 04, 2007 12:03 AM
Subject: [TR] Potential GT6 purchase

> Well guys, the stag purchase failed so I'm still on the hunt for a Triumph
> project. I have a lead on a GT6 that is for sale for $400. It's not pretty
> but we can get it there.
> The PO says it's missing a grill, some chrome and wheels. Of course it
> hasn't been run in years.

Al-
    In addition to Tom's comments, I'll add the
following.........................

>   1. What are your thoughts on these cars?
 The GT6 is a hoot to drive, the 2.0L six is a differnt animal than a TR6
2.5L six. It turns up better (IMHO) and has a different torque curve as
well. The car is a "buzz box" and can be quite loud with the wrong exhaust
mounted. The biggest issue with most people is the small interior. If you
are much more than 5"-10" you will not fit! My suggestion is to try it on
before purchasing. You do not "get into the car" as much as you "put it on".
I am always pleasantly surprised when I take mine to car shows, as the
puzzle factor is quite high. There just aren't alot of them around anymore.

2. More importantly, how easy is it to get parts for  them?
The drivetrain parts are redily accessable. Basically it is a Vitesse/2000
engine and gearbox with a spattering of Spitfire mixed in. Body panels are
tougher as the rear half of the car is unique. The front half is basically a
modified Spitty. Interior trim pieces outside of the dash/facia are unique
to the GT6. Most interior parts are available however.

3. Are there areas that I need to keep an eye out  for?
Check the battery box, floor pans and where the rear trailing arms bolt to
the body (Mk II & III)

Overall I have enjoyed my GT6+ (Mk II). It handles like a go-kart and has
the torque of a big truck. It is a small car and driving defensively is
paramount as most driver's do not see you. Here in Maine, it is a great car
for our climate. If I lived south of the Mason-Dixon line, I'd seek a
differnt Triumph to drive. It is a very warm car to drive for any distance.
Ford always made a big deal about thier GT40, the 40 represents the toatal
height of the car. I own a car that's 1" shorter, Triumph made it. It's a

Tim Hutchisen
71 TR6
70 GT6+
74 Spitfire