Re: [TR] Potential GT6 purchase

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Potential GT6 purchase
From: "John Macartney" <standardtriumph@btinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 09:56:13 -0000
Chris Kantarjiev wrote:
> Fit depends entirely on how you're built. I'm 6'2 and fit fine - but
> I have a 32" inseam, which is possibly short for my height. Getting
> in and out is an interesting challenge (put your right foot in
> first). I found that using a smaller-than-stock steering wheel
> made a *huge* difference.

In recent years, I've discovered that getting in and out of GT6's is a minor
issue when accessing the driving seat. Chris' suggestion is excellent,
except that for a RHS car, you have to use the left foot first. It may be
that my now more elderly joints are not quite as flexible as they were in
the days of my GT6 Mk 2 (GT6+), so straightening up in the driver's seat is
a bit more protracted. Curiously, I seem to have a rather larger gut that I
used to have and this can interfere with the steering wheel until the seat
is adjusted. All that to one side, getting into and out of the passenger's
door is sheer murder because it's an opposite and unfamiliar movement,
further hindered by this gut issue. However, I have succeeded in perfecting
a technique for getting out of both opened doors - and this also applies to
sidescreen TR's when the hood is erected.

1. Open the door
2. Place the flat of your hand nearest to the door on the ground or road
below - and slowly roll out
3. Safely exited from either vehicle and from either side in this manner
will find you on all fours facing the back of the car.

Perhaps this may leave you open to some ridicule but it's a safe and
different way of getting out of a car - and ideal for ladies anxious to
preserve their modesty. The only disadvantage I have so far discovered is
that such a manoeuvre can lead to potentially awkward questions if a police
car is nearby.

Jonmac

===     http://www.vtr.org