[TR] Valve job for a virgin

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Valve job for a virgin
From: banc8004@comcast.net
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:22:52 +0000
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement.

I went with Uncle Jack, and had the head off in minutes - Thanks Jack! Levering
between the water 'shroud' on the head and the top of the water pump casting
broke the seal, and I was then just a few huffs and a few puffs from victory.

A new exhaust valve for #1, reseat all valves, new springs, and things will be
looking up. Not really too much carbon around inside. Things looked worse from
the top.

The most disturbing thing getting into the job was finding that half the 10
head nuts were no where near the torque required (though the copper head gasket
shows no sign of leaks) and most of the exhaust manifold nuts were not much
more than finger tight, and in the case of the four out of sight, absent.

Another question: three of the tappets that cup the base of the pushrods, and
rest on the cam, are slightly pitted in the base that contacts the cam. Is this
a problem, and should I replace the set?

Cheers,

Brian

===     http://www.vtr.org