[TR] Off-Topic - Water heater, electric or Oil

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Off-Topic - Water heater, electric or Oil
From: "Mark Hooper" <mhooper@digiscreen.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:42:43 -0500
Sorry for the non-lbc, but this seems a topic that might get me a
response from the expertise of the list and, amazingly, has no political
content (although, if successful it will get me in hot water).

The rented (!) oil-fired water heater that came with my house when I
bought it now needs service and replacement.

My she-serpent takes long baths in her whirly tub. The hissing and
roaring that comes out of her bathroom when the heater runs out, or
worse, fails to re-start, has to be heard to be believed. Definitely a
capacity issue to be solved before I go deaf or am stricken down by the
sheer tragedy of it all.

I'm dithering over a 40-gallon oil-fired (with oil at $0.8/litre)
Or
60 gallon electric (with electricity at $0.08c/KWh)

I'm buying not renting this one, but want to decide which is best.

Recently with the oil unit frequently not restarting automatically, I
have noticed that the tank cools amazingly fast. I attribute this to the
cold air coming down the chimney right into the tank. This does not seem
to be mentioned by the oil-proponents...

I've even been looking at the tankless electric units that give infinite
(as long as the utility and one's wallet hold out) hot water with no
loss for keeping the big puddle in the tank warm.

Has anybody gone through the exercise of calculating which costs more to
operate, oil or electric?

Cheers,

Mark

===     http://www.vtr.org