RE: [TR] MPH TR3

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] MPH TR3
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 22:02:56 -0700
> Randall, can you explain a little more.  When I got my TR6
> with no OD  at the time, the speedo did not work and I used
> 21.2 MPH per 1000 rpm at  1:1.  For 3800 rpm, that would give
> 80.6 MPH with stock tire  diameter.

My TR6 handbook gives engine speed @ 10 mph as 482 rpm in 4th direct.  So,
at 3800 rpm, it would be doing (3800 / 482) * 10 = 78.8 mph.

>  For the 3 at
> 90.5 mph,  90.5/3.8=23.82 mph per 1000 rpm in  OD.

But the TR3 had smaller tires originally than the TR6 did.

>  With a
> .78:1 OD that would be 18.6 mph per 1000 rpm at 1:1.  Is
> this correct for the 3, or am I off base?

The standard OD ratio on a TR3 is .82, not .78.  Since the British always do
things backwards, they talk about the reciprocal of the gear ratio; which is
1.22 (hence 22%).  (.78 ODs were found on some British cars, but not, AFAIK,
on any Triumph.)

> What do you mean by 42 revs per mile?

Sorry, my mistake : wrong units.  The TR3 handbook gives engine speed @ 10
mph as 420 rpm in 4th OD with radial tires.  (The bias-ply Dunlops were
taller, 410 rpm @ 10 mph.)  So, with original radials, 3800 rpm in 4th OD
would be (3800 / 420) * 10 = 90.5 mph.

Or, if you prefer, 23.8 mph per 1000 rpm.

Of course, very few of us are running the original Michelin X radials
(although they can be had, for a price).  So to get serious about
calculating speed from engine rpm, you need to know the effective diameter
of _your_ tires.  (Which varies significantly from what you get from
multiplying out the tire size numbers; and even depends on what rim width
you use.)  Most tire makers publish a nominal effective diameter (although
frequently it's expressed in "turns per mile").

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org