RE: [TR] Oil for TR6 differential

To: "'Chris Buckley'" <chris.buckley51@yahoo.co.uk>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Oil for TR6 differential
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 10:32:58 -0700
>   I am replacing my TR4A IRS diff with one from a Triumph
> saloon. Not sure of the ratio but it is the one with the
> "longest legs" used on some TR6's i think.

That would be the 3.45 ratio, used on TR5 & PI TR6.  Only about 7% taller
than the stock 3.7 TR4A ratio.

>   I have been advised that GL4 oil should be used in the diff
> as GL5 has cleaning agents that eat the metal parts.
>   Does the list concur?

As Bill said, not all GL5 rated oils have the additive that eats yellow
metal.

I've run Valvoline full synthetic (Synpower) gear oil in my TR3 diff for
well over 100,000 miles; and it seems to work fine.  Frankly, I credit it
for making my diff live that long (as it was well worn when I got the car in
1984).

Redline is another good brand of full synthetic gear oil ... unfortunately I
doubt you can buy either Redline or Valvoline in the UK; and I wouldn't put
Castrol in my lawnmower.

Randall

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org