[TR] Make your own gaskets

To: steven@newellboys.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Make your own gaskets
From: Kent Shrack <kentshrack@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 05:53:31 -0700 (PDT)
So,  We're on our way to our home town Pratt Kansas on Saturday and the TR3
starts the sputtering.  It feels like one of the carbs is not getting fuel, but
we stop in Emporia about 60 miles and I buy a coil as I'm really not sure, and
I error on the electrical and the coil is really hot and oily on the outside.
A few more miles down the turnpike and it starts the sputtering again.  I open
the hood and fuel is dribbling out of the banjo type fitting holding on the
fuel bowl on the rear carb.  I pull it apart and the rubber gaskets that hold
the fuel bowl are way out of shape and expanded from being old and in contact
with the gasoline.  I try to re-assemble them but the gaskets are just too far
gone.  Now beside the road with nothing for gaskets, Karen looks around and
finds a piece of a Semi truck tire.  No way to cut that but we keep looking and
find a really nice Land Rover mud flap of about the right thickness.  I use a
socket and my hammer to drive a round hole through
 the flap and use my my wood chisel to make an octagon around the hole to make
a gasket, and then make another, and put them on,, No leaks and we're on our
way.  Ran great the rest of the weekend.  I'll be buying gaskets soon.  We put
on about 600 miles and all is well.

Kent Shrack

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.

===     http://www.vtr.org