[TR] Bleeding Clutch Slave Cylinder

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Bleeding Clutch Slave Cylinder
From: "Roger Wilson" <Roger@rw-architect.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 15:49:56 -0700
A few months ago I asked for some advice about removing the front apron
to replace the radiator on my TR3.  I got several responses and the
replacement went great, without a single problem.  Thank you all for
your collective wisdom!

Now I have gotten myself stuck with a new problem and I'm hoping some of
those great minds on our list can help me out again.

I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and I am having a hard time
bleeding out the system.  I've bled brakes out on several cars without
any trouble, but I can't seem to get all the air out.  I even got a
Mityvac, but I still can't get it clear. It is the typical super-soft
pedal that hardens up with some pumping. Obviously there is still air in
there.

I think that my problem is that the bleeder valve is in awkward place
and it is hard to get it open enough to bleed and tight enough to close
in one position of the wrench. I think that is where air is sneaking in.
I even cut a 3/8" box wrench down so I could get a little more travel
out of it, but I still need to reposition the wrench to close it down
all the way.

I replace the hose, rod and other hardware, but not the pipe to the
master cylinder. It seems that if air was getting in the joint at the
pipe and the hose, it would leak fluid under pressure from the master
cylinder or am I wrong about that?

I was thinking of dropping the slave cylinder down and bleeding it with
the Mityvac with the slave attached to the master. Then I could get good
access to the bleeder valve.  Could that work?

Roger Wilson

'60 TR3

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net