Re: [TR] Bleeding Clutch Slave Cylinder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Bleeding Clutch Slave Cylinder
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 20:17:16 -0400
At 07:18 PM 7/28/2008, MMoore8425@aol.com wrote:

>I really wonder if its necessary to bleed it at all. What keeps bubbles  from
>rising up to the reservoir? What exactly does "holding the pedal down" do
>anyway besides increase cylinder pressure and make bubbles smaller?

The bubbles are compressible, the fluif is not.  thus, with too many
bubbles, the slave cylinder will not fully engage.

>I just
>replaced a 1 inch slave on my TR3A yesterday and I haven't bled it
>at all. I'll
>just drive it and it will take care of itself somehow!

On my 71/72 Spitfire, the clutch leaked badly to the point that it
would often empty itself.  I always simply dumped more Castrol LMA
into it, and gave it a few sharp pumps.  Worked fine, though I reckon
it could have worked a lot better had I repaired it and then properly
bled it once.

Jeff Scarbrough      75 TR6 x 1, 76 1500 x 2, 78 1500 x 1, 80 1500 x 0.5
http://www.fishplate.org/vehicles/
Athens, Georgia         #354

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net