Re: [TR] TR3 tires 6" rims

To: MMoore8425@aol.com
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 tires 6" rims
From: Michael Porter <mdporter@dfn.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 20:45:45 -0600
MMoore8425@aol.com wrote:

> Randall, one of the best articles I read was years ago when they had two
> identical light blue MGA's. One was absolutely original,low mileage, well
> maintained always with OEM parts.The other was 100% restored, using all the
> latest technology, such as polyurethane bushings etc. they road tested both
> cars, the switched drivers, then voted on the best car.(I don't know how
> many  drivers),
> Hands down, the original one won.
> The reason givern was that the factory spends a lot of time determining if
> bushings for instance should be
> 85Shore or 90 Shore hard. The brake pad material is tested, and a specific
> type is chosen etc..

And, in a very funny article on braking by J.K.L. Setright, in Road &
Track, Setright recounts that Sir William Lyons, in the midst of costing
out the first XK-E, opted for standard brake linings instead of premium
grade, because it would save 25p per car....

In the same vein, tires are more often chosen on the basis of acceptable
_minimum_ performance for the cost, with a clear tendency to favor
cost.  That's an engineering cost/benefit analysis which need not be
repeated by the owner.

The point being that a great deal of that engineering can be (and often
is) eventually undone by cost accounting....

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net