Re: [TR] Car club meetings

To: "marty sukey" <trmarty@hotmail.com>, "Triumph List"
Subject: Re: [TR] Car club meetings
From: "Bob Danielson" <75tr6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 08:50:42 -0500
Marty,
I'll approach this from the other end i.e. Why I've never joined the local
club............. I even had a few chat with the Membership Director and the
Treasurer........two really nice people who acknowledge my concerns but
change is slow in coming.

Like Letterman, here's my top 10 (-4) list: 1. a die hard cliquey core group
of members 2. There's no attempt to actively recruit members at their annual
show. What better time for active members to approach show attendees and do
some recruiting but.....see reason #1  3.  we're a very small state yet
meetings are help in the same place all the time rather then moving around
the state to make it easier for people. 4. Driving events are few and far
between.... I see only 2 on the 2009 calendar. 5. Every club should have an
up to date dynamic web site and use email to communicate to members and
potential members. The local one has gotten much better but it's still needs
work e.g. the Hot News link is for an event from a month ago. 6. The
calendar shows one Tech session in 2009......... They actually asked me to
attend a session last year to show them my TBI conversion and only about 4
people showed up and no one was really interested in the upgrade.

On the plus side, the club does have a good relationship with the MG Club
and they do join projects/events.

So my advice would be to actively recruit people at shows, be open and
friendly to newbie's regardless of car condition, communicate via web and
email to members and non-members (show attendees), move meetings and driving
events around so people can easily attend a couple of times a year, have a
"tool" collection available to loan out along with expertise on how to use
them.

Bob

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U