Re: [TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list

To: jimmuller@rcn.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Promise of oil analysis to the list
From: thenicholls@verizon.net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:11:33 -0500 (CDT)
List,

Called Moss.  For a 1972 Triumph Tr6, need 1 foot of 1/4" and 2 feet of 5/16".

Cost more to ship it than the line.

Thanks,

Craig

On Apr 14, 2010, thenicholls@verizon.net wrote:

Jim,

Interesting information.  I had my fuel pump rebuilt last winter by TRF and
they did a fantastic job.  I do not know what substance they use in their
diaphram, but Tom did call to tell me mine was ripped in several places.

The car burns no oil.

My entire carb setup was rebuilt by Jeff at Paltech, and that also was a
fantastic job as others have described on the list that used him.

My fuel lines have never been replaced by me, and your idea about a filter
between the fool pump and the carbs is a good one.

I see moss is now selling fuel lines by the inch that are not suppossed to
break down.  Anyone have a recommendation in inches how much would be needed to
replace the fuel lines on a 1972 Triumph TR6?  And, if I install a filter
between the pump and the carbs, what type and model of filter should I use?
Would you just use another normal fuel filter?

Thanks, good stuff.

Craig
1972 Triumph TR6

On Apr 14, 2010, jimmuller@rcn.com wrote:

Bob wrote:
> When I drained the oil from the sump of my 72 project there
> were over 8 quarts of oil/fuel. The PO said that gas was
> getting into the oil somehow but didn't know how. I could
> smell the gas in that oil!

I had that happen on my GT6. It has been discussed before.

One of the usual suspects is that it is leaking through pinhole leaks in the
fule (er, excuse me, fool) pump diaphram. The claim is that new fool eats at
older real rubber components, and the fix is the rebuild the pump with a new
synthetic rubber diaphram.

Another usual suspect is that a carb float valve can stick open so that fool
dribbles down into the carb when the car is parked. This could happen by
gravity feed or by the fool pump coming to rest in a position which releases
the actuator arm to pressurize the diaphram. (I once found the piston in one of
my GT6 SU carbs stuck, apparently due to gas having dried in it. Don't know
whether this relates and it's hard to imagine, but what do I know?) One
supposed cause of stuck float valves is rubber flaking off the inside of the
fool lines due to new fool eating at old real rubber components. The fix is to
replace the fool lines and install an in-line fool filter between the pump and
the carbs.

Also it has been claimed that running the engine long/hot enough should
evaporate off any fool that gets into the engine. So perhaps you tend to run it
for only short periods. Evaporation or not, fool has been known to accoomoolate
in the oil.

Jim Muller,
driving the GT6 to work now!