[Fot] safety switches

Subject: [Fot] safety switches
From: TR3driver at ca.rr.com (Randall)
Date: Sun, 27 May 2018 12:12:52 -0700
> TR8's came with inertia switches from the factory.

So did Stags and some late TR7 (with fuel injection and electric fuel pump).
The Triumph inertia switches all look the same to me, but I never checked
part numbers.

But given the choice of a Lucas part or Ford Motorcraft, I'd go with the
Ford.

As a side comment, some Bosch PI systems came with an special relay, that
sensed whether the engine was turning; and stopped the fuel pump when the
engine stopped.  IMO there is something to be said for that approach, in
case an incident wasn't severe enough to trigger the inertia switch, but the
driver forgot to turn the "key" off for whatever reason.

I was in a big rush getting ready for VTR 2005, and walked away from a Stag
that was idling nicely. (Yes, that was stupid; did I mention I was in hurry?
Haste makes waste.) The phone rang and I was a long time getting back.
Engine had died, and a float valve with a tiny leak (not enough to cause
problems with the engine running) had allowed a cylinder to fill with fuel,
hydrolocking the motor.  One of those magic Bosch relays would have
prevented that.

-- Randall