Re: [TR] oil filter sealant

To: Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com>, "Triumph list Team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] oil filter sealant
From: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 07:58:35 -0400 (EDT)

------=_Part_687352_1117626007.1537876715183

Ah, this is one change I made immediately during my restoration.  Having
started life with my first car, a 1964 Sprite, I never wanted to touch a
cartridge type filter again, so I installed a canister conversion.  See
http://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3Handbook/7.php#navbar.  It's not original, but if
the goal is daily driving and frequent oil changes, it's a whole lot cleaner.

Terry

> On September 24, 2018 at 1:27 PM Paul Dorsey <dorpaul1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     I  am  wanting to replace the old filter in my TR3 (engine is mostly TR4
> parts) that  has a Tecalemit  type oil filter canister and mount.  It seems
> that after I attach the brass nut, It will pull the apparatus (adapter, brass
> nut, oil filter and canister and seal) up tight using the 6" bolt.  The brass
> nut sinks into the aluminum adapter head.
>          When the engine was out of the car, the engine mechanic applied a
> thin film of dark orange permatex(?) to the brass nut before submerging it
> into the aluminum adapter.  It did not seem to leak.  My question is: now
> that the engine is in the car and I have very little clearance both from
> above or below.  Is it ok to squeeze out a quarter of a tube of a similar
> sealant (probably from above the engine) in an effort to replicate his
> success?  I quess I'd want to smear it all over the brass bolt before
> submerging it into the aluminum filter head.
>
>     Paul
>     ** triumphs@autox.team.net **
>
>     Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
>     Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
> http://www.team.net/archive
>
>     Unsubscribe/Manage:
> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/terryrs@comcast.net

------=_Part_687352_1117626007.1537876715183

<!DOCTYPE html>
</head><body><p style=3D"font-size: 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sa=
ns-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">Ah, this is one change I made immediatel=
y during my restoration.&#160; Having started life with my first car, a 196=
4 Sprite, I never wanted to touch a cartridge type filter again, so I insta=
lled a canister conversion.&#160; See <a href=3D"http://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR=
3Handbook/7.php#navbar">http://trf.zeni.net/TR2-TR3Handbook/7.php#navbar</a=
>.&#160; It&#39;s not original, but if the goal is daily driving and freque=
nt oil changes, it&#39;s a whole lot cleaner.<br></p><p style=3D"font-size:=
 12pt; font-family: helvetica, arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">=
tember 24, 2018 at 1:27 PM Paul Dorsey &#60;dorpaul1@gmail.com&#62; wrote: =
ace the old filter in my TR3 (engine is mostly TR4 parts) that &#160;has a =
Tecalemit &#160;type oil filter canister and mount.&#160; It seems that aft=
er I attach the brass nut, It will pull the apparatus (adapter, brass nut, =
oil filter and canister and seal) up tight using the 6&#34; bolt.&#160; The=
0; &#160;When the engine was out of the car, the engine mechanic applied a =
thin film of dark orange permatex(?) to the brass nut before submerging it =
into the aluminum adapter.&#160; It did not seem to leak.&#160; My question=
 is: now that the engine is in the car and I have very little clearance bot=
h from above or below.&#160; Is it ok to squeeze out a quarter of a tube of=
 a similar sealant (probably from above the engine) in an effort to replica=
te his success?&#160; I quess I&#39;d want to smear it all over the brass b=
/www.team.net/donate.html <br>Archive: http://www.team.net/pipermail/triump=