Re: [TR] Brake fluid for Triumph

To: "'Sujit Roy'" <triumphstag@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Brake fluid for Triumph
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 16:58:20 -0800
Cc: 'Triumphs' <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Can I use DOT 5 in the Stag? Do I need to flush out the
> current DOT 3/ 4?

Both of my Stags have DOT 5 in them.  LE1473 was converted just by bleeding
through at each corner until clean purple fluid appeared.  The other one
(dubbed Frankenstag because it appears to be parts from at least 3 different
cars) had a failed MC and stuck rear wheel cylinders when I got it, so those
were repaired at the same time.

However, LE1473 already had what seemed to be a minor master cylinder
problem before the conversion (pedal would sometimes drop towards floor
while sitting at a stop light), and it suddenly got a whole lot worse not
long after the conversion (no hydraulic brakes at all).  (I also learned
that the back brakes on a Stag are more prone to fade than a TR3.)
Post-mortem showed both MC piston seals torn, and approximately the
consistency of Gummi Bears.

So I'd have to say that "best practice" is probably to replace the seals at
the same time.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **