Re: [TR] Brake fluid for Triumph

Subject: Re: [TR] Brake fluid for Triumph
From: <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 23:00:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I used Castrol LMA for years and seemed like every year or so, sometimes more,
sometimes less, some master or slave cylinder would fail.  I didn't really keep
track of the timeframe, but seemed like a very regular basis, often a rear
wheel cylinder.

Sometime ago I switched to Dot 5, actually bought a car that had it.  After
sometime (nearly 20 years of ownership) it dawned on me that I hardly ever had
any problems with hydraulics anymore.  I was a firm believer in the benefits of
Dot 5.

Chapter 3-Last year my relatively new (7 years from the restoration, which is
some time, but I was getting used to having so few problems it still surprised
me) brake master cylinder quit, followed by a leaky clutch master.  Inspection
of the brake master shows corrossion at the bottom of the bore, as if water had
settled there.

So Dot 5 seems to work well with hydraulics, but even though it does not absorb
water, if water gets into the system, which apparently it can, it can do as
much or more damage than it can in coventional fluid.

My fault for not flushing the fluid more often, but a little unsure if a flush
would get lingering fluid out of the bottom of the bore (vs. a conventional
flush which will displace fluid with x %age of water with new fluid with < x
%age of water, thereby lowering water in the system and making your fluid good
again).

YMMV, everybody seems to have different stories and experience with brake
fluid, but that has been mine.

Greg Lemon
TR250

http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/mharc@autox.team.net