Re: [TR] TR2 fuel gauge

To: "'John Deluca'" <john-marie@sbcglobal.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 fuel gauge
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 16:31:02 -0800
Check that the resistor value has not drifted too much.  I don't recall the
correct value for the TR gauge offhand, but it's not the same as the MGA
that Barney "MGAguru" was working on.  It's worth checking the magnetic
coils as well, not only for resistance but for a short to ground inside the
coil.

Also make sure both the gauge and the sending unit are securely grounded.

When doing mine, I found that the tabs on the coils were not adequate to
keep them from turning.  They have to be turned so the gap between the pole
pieces and the moving armature is reasonably constant across the width of
the pole piece; which you can only see with the face removed.  Mine wanted
to turn so one corner was almost touching the armature.

I never did get mine very accurate across the scale; but it pointed to 'E'
before I ran out of gas, and 'F' after I filled the tank, so I thought it
close enough.

-- Randall
56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
71 Stag LE1473 - awaiting engine rebuild
71-2-3 Stag - awaiting gearbox rebuild

** triumphs@autox.team.net **