Re: [TR] needs repaired

To: TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] needs repaired
From: Greg Lemon <grglmn@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2020 18:47:03 -0600
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>

--000000000000c5c64f059d289077

Thanks Terry,

Well put, language is an arbitrary convention, as long as we agree and
understand what it means, it works.  The advent of cell phones and social
media has many more people using the written form of the English language
to communicate, using shorthand statements and writing how they speak.
Although it took me a while to get used to it, "my bad" from pick up
basketball is another example of one of those things that may grate on the
nerves, but you know what it means.

If you want to criticize grammar used in texts, social media, email, and
advertisements posted by greasy gear heads more power to you, but you are
fighting a battle that was lost long ago.

Greg Lemon
TR250

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 4:19 PM TERRY SMITH <terryrs@comcast.net> wrote:

> For what it's worth, there are three types of grammar, maybe more now.
> One:  prescriptive.  Two:  descriptive.  Three:  Transformational.
>
> Sister Eloise with the stick was decidedly prescriptive.  Language "must"
> adhere.
>
> Trouble is, language is constantly evolving.  Sentence subjects are no
> longer as gender specific.  It's now okay to write lite instead of light.
> Descriptive grammar is how people actually use it.  Hence it's not
> inappropriate to use the term "needs restored."
>
> Transformational grammar is the study of language that takes it back to
> when it is first acquired as an infant.  Children "babble" in Chinese lon=
> before they actually start speaking Chinese.  Deep structure is the term
> used for when a thought first becomes language and helps describe when
> ellipses remove words, yet we still understand the meaning:  "Needs [to b=
e]
> restored like that one."
>
> I taught high school English for several years and my specialty was
> teaching remedial writing to kids who had failed at that hands of English
> Nazis all through school.  It took some major doing to get them to relax
> enough with language to realize that spelling, for instance, comes to
> English words from an anarchy of imported foreign languages, so don't swe=
at
> that you haven't memorized the difference between night and knight.
>
> Obligatory Triumph content:  "I put fluif in my Triumf."
>
> On January 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM JOE CURRY <spitlist@cox.net> wrote:
>
> I resemble that remark!  :)
>

> On January 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Ron L'Herault <lherault@verizon.net>
> wrote:
>
> Warning:   This is not Triumph related.
>

> I=E2=80=99m an uptight New Englander who was taught English grammar by nu=
ns who
> had sticks.  8-).     Face Book, was the first place I=E2=80=99d seen thi=
s usage.
> Now it appears in a mailing list message.
>
> =E2=80=9CNeeds Restored like that one.=E2=80=9D
>
> ---------------------------------
>
> I look at that and first wonder, needs restored what?   Then deep in the
> recesses of my mind, I hear Sister Thomasina saying  =E2=80=9CYou will wr=
ite =E2=80=98needs
> to be restored=E2=80=99 100 times on the blackboard. When you are done, y=
ou will
> write =E2=80=98needs restoration=E2=80=99 100 times as well.=E2=80=9D
>

> So, since it is not a Triumph question, if people want to answer
> privately, super.   Do you use this sentence construction habitually?  In
> what part of the country do you live?  I was not an English major. I=E2=
=80=99m
> definitely not a great writer and don=E2=80=99t spell everything correctl=
y, but I=E2=80=99m
> extremely curious to find out the extent of the usage and this is a nice
> friendly group who may be able to help me.

> [...]

r></div><div dir=3D"auto">Well put, language is an arbitrary convention, as=
 long as we agree and understand what it means, it works.=C2=A0 The advent =
of cell phones and social media has many more people using the written form=
 of the English language to communicate, using shorthand statements and wri=
ting how they speak.=C2=A0 Although it took me a while to get used to it, &=
quot;my bad&quot; from pick up basketball is another example of one of thos=
e things that may grate on the nerves, but you know what it means.</div><di=
 used in texts, social media, email, and advertisements posted by greasy ge=
ar heads more power to you, but you are fighting a battle that was lost lon=
 dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 27, 2020, 4:19 PM TERRY SMITH=
 &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:terryrs@comcast.net"; target=3D"_blank" rel=3D"norefe=
l_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left=
:1ex"><u></u>

 =20
  =20
=20
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   For what it&#39;s worth, there are three types of grammar, maybe more no=
w.=C2=A0 One:=C2=A0 prescriptive.=C2=A0 Two:=C2=A0 descriptive.=C2=A0 Three=
:=C2=A0 Transformational.
:rgb(51,51,51)">
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Sister Eloise with the stick was decidedly prescriptive.=C2=A0 Language =
&quot;must&quot; adhere.=C2=A0=C2=A0
:rgb(51,51,51)">
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Trouble is, language is constantly evolving.=C2=A0 Sentence subjects are=
 no longer as gender specific.=C2=A0 It&#39;s now okay to write lite instea=
d of light.=C2=A0 Descriptive grammar is how people actually use it.=C2=A0 =
Hence it&#39;s not inappropriate to use the term &quot;needs restored.&quot=
;
:rgb(51,51,51)">
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Transformational grammar is the study of language that takes it back to =
when it is first acquired as an infant.=C2=A0 Children &quot;babble&quot; i=
n Chinese long before they actually start speaking Chinese.=C2=A0 Deep stru=
cture is the term used for when a thought first becomes language and helps =
describe when ellipses remove words, yet we still understand the meaning:=
=C2=A0 &quot;Needs [to be] restored like that one.&quot;
:rgb(51,51,51)">
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   I taught high school English for several years and my specialty was teac=
hing remedial writing to kids who had failed at that hands of English Nazis=
 all through school.=C2=A0 It took some major doing to get them to relax en=
ough with language to realize that spelling, for instance, comes to English=
 words from an anarchy of imported foreign languages, so don&#39;t sweat th=
at you haven&#39;t memorized the difference between night and knight.=C2=A0=
=C2=A0
:rgb(51,51,51)">
:rgb(51,51,51)">
   Obligatory Triumph content:=C2=A0 &quot;I put fluif in my Triumf.&quot;
   On January 27, 2020 at 4:05 PM JOE CURRY &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:spitlist@=
cox.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">spitlist@cox.net</=
a>&gt; wrote:=20
    On January 27, 2020 at 1:52 PM Ron L&#39;Herault &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:=
lherault@verizon.net" rel=3D"noreferrer noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">lhera=
ult@verizon.net</a>&gt; wrote:=20
 by nuns who had sticks.=C2=A0 8-).=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 Face Book, was =
the first place I=E2=80=99d seen this usage.=C2=A0 Now it appears in a mail=
ing list message.</p>
hen deep in the recesses of my mind, I hear Sister Thomasina saying=C2=A0 =
=E2=80=9CYou will write =E2=80=98needs to be restored=E2=80=99 100 times on=
 the blackboard. When you are done, you will write =E2=80=98needs restorati=
on=E2=80=99 100 times as well.=E2=80=9D=C2=A0=C2=A0</p>
ivately, super.=C2=A0=C2=A0 Do you use this sentence construction habituall=
y?=C2=A0 In what part of the country do you live?=C2=A0 I was not an Englis=
h major. I=E2=80=99m definitely not a great writer and don=E2=80=99t spell =
everything correctly, but I=E2=80=99m extremely curious to find out the ext=
ent of the usage and this is a nice friendly group who may be able to help =
me.</p>
    ** <a href=3D"mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; rel=3D"noreferrer norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **=20
er noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a>=20