Re: [TR] TR2 front brake conversion

To: dave <dave@ranteer.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR2 front brake conversion
From: John Macartney <John.Macartney@Ukpips.org.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2021 22:38:35 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hear hear on Dave Masseys input. Unless you plan to regularly use the car on
mountain pass type roads where prolonged heavy braking is the norm, those front
drums should be fine. The same applies to the MGA and smaller cars like the Mk
1 Sprite and MG TC. In the mid sixties I used my â??48 TC (first car)
extensively in the Alps of Austria and Switzerland without a problem. Just a
bit slower on descents and one gear lower than Iâ??d normally use.

Jonmac

Vote for Guy Fawkes! The only man who entered Parliament with honest intentions.

> On 1 Apr 2021, at 20:44, dave <dave@ranteer.com> wrote:
>
> TR2s are wonderful quirky old things.  Beware the quest to "modernize" it
> with discs, rack n pinion steering and the like.  That is chasing a rainbow.
>
> There is no good reason to do that unless you are racing.  Drum brakes are
> adequate to stop the car and keep it original, if you keep the drums in
> shape.  They do fade faster than disc, but is that an issue?
>
> Or are you doing this because you have brake problems and have not properly
> diagnosed/repaired the problem?  brake problems are often due to bad hoses.
> Switch to SS and see if that helps.
>
> Please read this:  https://mgaguru.com/mgtech/brakes/bt202.htm
>
> Yes, it is about MGA, but they are very similar cars and I believe the logic
> here is the same.

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html

Unsubscribe/Manage: