Re: [TR] IRS rear shock question

To: Dave Connitt <dconnitt@fuse.net>, Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] IRS rear shock question
From: DAVE HOGYE <dlhogye@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2022 20:35:56 -0700 (PDT)
I can't recall exactly what I did there, but changing the standard hardware is
a good place to start.  The fatter the purchase on the shock side the better.
I think I used a grade8 hard washer to grab as much of the shock as possible
under the bolt head.  I think an allen head bolt might provide a better
purchase for tightening, or I ground down a 9/16" socket to better fit the bolt
head.  I think I used a longer bolts too.  Adding another nut to lock things is
place.  If I get a chance, I'll take a good look at what I did and get back to
you.  The frame mount can get worn out of round too, if it's been loose a few
times.
Dave H.
> On 05/16/2022 6:01 PM Dave Connitt <dconnitt@fuse.net> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
> For the second time in 2 consecutive driving seasons, the passenger side
> (R/R) lever arm rear shock absorber mounting bolts have backed off to the
> point that the shock bangs against the frame. When noise started the second
> time I thought it was coming from a loose exhaust but it turned out to be the
> lower mounting bolt again on that right rear shock. The first time it
> happened, I applied blue Loctite to the bolt threads but the bolts backed out
> anyway.
> After the first issue I had the shocks rebuilt and the mounting holes on this
> second set of shocks seemed OK ( not worn out if round).
> Has anyone else run into this and if you have, how did you fix it?
> Thanks,
> Dave Connitt
> â??67 TR4A-IRS
>
> Sent from my iPhone