tvr

Re: Ring and Pinion Source

To: Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ring and Pinion Source
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 21:13:25 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-29 15:28:43 EDT, Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca writes:

<<
 Nick, for those of us who are a little out of the loop on this, can you
 please provide a little background.  What ratio would my 1972 TVR (TR6 drive
 train) have in it?  Why are the 4.55 so desireable?  And what would they
 have come in?   Thanks a bunch. >>

Stephen and all,

I'll help Nick out here...he's probably quite busy putting the "Duke of Oil"
together.  That's what he calls his TR4A vintage racer.

TVR's with the TR6 drivetrain were fitted with 3.45 diff gears, unlike the
TR6, which was normally fitted for export with 3.73 gears.  I'm not sure why
TVR chose the taller gears, but it may have been to get a higher top speed.
Or maybe they got a better price on them from Triumph!

The 4.55 gears were available through the Triumph Competition Dept.  When
used with an overdrive tranny, they are the hot setup for racing on most
tracks.  Hillclimb and autocross cars work well with these gears, or the
4.88's, which Triumph also offered.  For street use, don't even think about
the 4.88's (but let me know if you have a set).  The 4.55's COULD be used on
a street machine, I suppose, but ONLY with an overdrive tranny, and you would
be in a tough situation if that overdrive ever stopped working!

A nice swap for your TVR would be to fit a TR6 3.73 diff.  Better low end
response without giving too much top end away.

Regards,

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA
TR's and TVR's