tvr

Re: Ring and Pinion Source

To: Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ring and Pinion Source
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 12:31:31 EDT

<< Nick, for those of us who are a little out of the loop on this, can you
 please provide a little background.  What ratio would my 1972 TVR (TR6 drive
 train) have in it?  Why are the 4.55 so desireable?  And what would they
 have come in?   Thanks a bunch.

Trevoristi-

This post was more in the way of info that may have some small relevance to
some of us. The 4.55 diff ratio never came in any TVR to my knowledge, and
indeed would be most unneeded in most instances as the car is light enough to
have decent acceleration with higher ratio gears. BUT, for some of you
serious autocrossers the ratio may have some appeal.
Since many of us have the big TR series diffs in our cars these gears will
fit, but were actually designed with the TR3 and TR4 series cars in mind and
were a very typical addition to a competition car when used with the
overdrive trans. (Something I've contemplated in my 2500. Perhaps a 4.1 and
overdrive would be a killer on track days...)
Supposedly the 2500's and M cars had a 3.45 ratio (as in the TR6 PI cars) in
them, But I have seen several with the more mundane 3.7 ratios (as in most
all TR3's, 4's and 6's) here in the US.
The 4.55 ratio has been nla for many years and I thought I would share a
source with anyone who had a need.

Why can't I ever just leave it alone...
          Nick in Nor cal