tvr

Re: Ring and Pinion Source

To: Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca, tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ring and Pinion Source
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:35:26 EDT
In a message dated 99-09-30 12:33:48 EDT, Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca writes:

<<
 Rich, thanks for your response!  In an earlier post Rolf referred to using
 4.11's and 3.89's in his Vixen.  Were these widely available and are they a
 good setup for autocross (or slaloming as we call it here in North America?)
 The reason I ask is I put an overdrive in my 1972 TR6 drive train 2500 S2,
 and when I finish warming up the engine I want to slalom the car.  From what
 you say I guess I have the stock 3.45 gears, and I probably want to go to
 something which gives me better accelation coming out of corners.  Any
 suggestions? >>

Stephen,

Rolf probably has a Spitfire or GT6 diff in his car.  The ratios for them are
different from the TR6 units.  I notice Nick says he has seen several TVR's
with the 3.7 gears, not the 3.45's.  My 71 Vixen 2500 has 3.45's.  Only way
to be sure what you have in your car is to check.

If you are serious about autocrossing the car you need the low gears.  3.7
gears just don't get the job done the way the 4.55's do.  Triumph offered 4.1
and 4.3 ratios also.  Finding a good used set in any of the high performance
ratios is VERY difficult.  You might get lucky, though.   If you find any you
can't use, let me know!  I'm always looking for high performance parts.

Regards,

Rich Rock