tvr

Re: Griffith 200 front brakes????

To: Rikrock@aol.com, TVR@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Griffith 200 front brakes????
From: Malaboge@aol.com
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 22:14:47 EDT

>I still can't believe it, but a Griffith 200 is now sitting in my garage and
>it belongs to me!

Lucky you...how many of the 200series cars do you think still exist? Probably
not too many!

>I got it running, and things seem good, so now I am focused on getting it
>roadworthy.  The front brakes seem really small.  It looks to me that
>converting to TR6 calipers and rotors would be an easy thing to do, requiring
>
>only a different caliper mounting plate, the same one found on a Vixen.  Has
>anyone done this or have any other suggestions?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Rich Rock
>Pottstown, PA

As far as the brakes go, I believe that they are Healey 3000 units (at least
mine are on chassis no 011).  The Vixen 2500 mounting plate should bolt up
with no problem, however if you really want to upgrade, why not go for the
Jag calipers and rotors as most of the e/p racers did with their cars in the
last 10 years?
The rotors on my car are already TR4/6 units. What are they on your car and
what is the chassis no?
If you have smaller Spit style rotors and calipers, I think the car has been
changed from stock. Are the hubs big TR? If so, then the rotors will
obviously bolt right on, so what do you have on there?

The steering arms on my car are very short ( unlike the later Vixen cars) and
seem to be Spit units (or worse Lotus units as they are exactly the same as
my Elan steering arms) that have been bent to clear the big TR rotors.
(actually the Lotus style steering arm clears until you try to bolt a tie rod
end onto it, then the tie rod end hits the rotor.)

What kind of springs are on the front of your car? Normal looking, or made of
square stock? Mine are square and wrapped in a leather cover and I always
kinda wondered about that.

Just what were those guys on Hoo Hill doing...
        Nick in NOr Cal