tvr

Re: Griffith 200 front brakes????

To: Malaboge@aol.com, TVR@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Griffith 200 front brakes????
From: Rikrock@aol.com
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 19:18:04 EDT
In a message dated 00-10-13 22:16:41 EDT, Malaboge@aol.com writes:

<<

 As far as the brakes go, I believe that they are Healey 3000 units (at least
 mine are on chassis no 011).  The Vixen 2500 mounting plate should bolt up
 with no problem, however if you really want to upgrade, why not go for the
 Jag calipers and rotors as most of the e/p racers did with their cars in the
 last 10 years?
 The rotors on my car are already TR4/6 units. What are they on your car and
 what is the chassis no?
 If you have smaller Spit style rotors and calipers, I think the car has been
 changed from stock. Are the hubs big TR? If so, then the rotors will
 obviously bolt right on, so what do you have on there?

 The steering arms on my car are very short ( unlike the later Vixen cars)
and
 seem to be Spit units (or worse Lotus units as they are exactly the same as
 my Elan steering arms) that have been bent to clear the big TR rotors.
 (actually the Lotus style steering arm clears until you try to bolt a tie
rod
 end onto it, then the tie rod end hits the rotor.)

 What kind of springs are on the front of your car? Normal looking, or made
of
 square stock? Mine are square and wrapped in a leather cover and I always
 kinda wondered about that.

 Just what were those guys on Hoo Hill doing...
         Nick in NOr Cal >>

Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions.  My car is 200/5/121.  I have removed the
front suspension and brake assemblies.

Based on the info several people have provided, I can tell you
that.........Yep, the calipers and caliper mounting plate are from a big
Healey.  The rotors and hubs look like big TR units.  At first, I thought the
rotors might be something other than big TR because they were very thin.  I'm
talkin' .340"!!!!  Steering arms are the short ones, not like the ones on my
Vixen.  Herald/Spitfire I think.

Springs are 2-1/2" id, made from round stock, I have not checked diameter of
the wire. Springs made from square stock, Nick?  I have no idea.  Collector
items for sure ;>)

I was thinking of changing to big TR calipers mainly because I have a bunch
of them laying around and I'm kind of cheap.  But I might be able to get my
hands on some Jag parts.  What year and model calipers should I be looking
for?  Mounting plate too?

Thanks!

Rich Rock