Re: RoadRacing VW's

To: "Warnock, Mike" <Warnock@engrnd.roundlake.baxter.com>
Subject: Re: RoadRacing VW's
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 08:18:19 -0600 (CST)
On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Warnock, Mike wrote:

> My plan for vintage racing is (don't laugh) to race a VW Bug.

> That car was prepared by Treuhaft Engineering in California.  Does
> anyone know the where abouts of this car?

        Mike,

        Back in the late 60s I was stationed at Andrews AFT in the DC
        suburbs. I was involved with a local sportscar club at that time. There
        was a VW dealer in the DC area (Heitman I think) that was making
        "prepared bugs" that were quite competitive in autocross. These
        beasties were known as "Heitman Stingers" (before Yenko's Corvair I
        think) the preparation included a balanced and blueprinted engine,
        suspension upgrades, and beefier rubber. There may have been other
        mods but the details escape me.

        If you are out of luck finding an ex-race Vedub perhaps finding
        an old Stinger would be an excellent starting off point. You
        might want to check the VW list... It may help.

        I'll look out for you at the CHR, or Blackhawk sometime in the future.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois